A New Year Of Blogging – My Goals 2018

A New Year Of Blogging – My Goals 2018

A brand new year is unfolding and like many others, I’m already planning my blogging goals for 2018. My little corner of the internet is ticking along nicely, but now it’s time to set some new goals for the coming year and continue to build on the foundations of my blog. Unlike resolutions, goals aren’t set in stone and act purely as a target. We shouldn’t make such demands on ourselves, should we?

When I think back to this time last year when The Beauty Spyglass was in its fledgling months, I can’t believe just how much knowledge I’ve gained over the last twelve months, not only that, blogging opens doors and offers many opportunities, so my first goal is to go out and find more doors to open…

Find Opportunities…

Instead of waiting for them to come my way. This is something I’d been doing throughout last year, that said, I’ve actually had some great opportunities fall into my lap but I’m pretty sure there are more if I go looking for them. If there’s a brand I love, contacting them is the first step to working with them. The worst that can happen is that they might say no, but at least I’ll then be on their radar. That’s the theory anyway. My goal is to set some time aside each week and send out some emails to brands/PR and see what happens.

New Camera And Lighting

This has been a pet peeve of mine for the entire year, or at least since I realised I needed to up my photography game. Basically, I look back over my first posts and the quality of the photos is appalling. I had to give up with my old Canon camera a few months ago as I just couldn’t get it to take clear photos no matter what I did. I was wasting too much time having to retake shots with my phone so I decided I would just stick to using my iPhone until such time as I can afford to buy a new camera.

I’ve been obsessing over the Olympus Pen EPL-7/8 for a good six months but now I’m not so sure. I’ve read that it struggles with focusing which would really frustrate me, particularly if I decide to get into vlogging. If you use this camera, please do correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll have to do more research into cameras before I take the plunge.

In terms of lighting equipment I love my Neewer Ring light and use it with all my shots but it’s not always easy to avoid the ring reflection being in the shot so alongside it I’ve got my eye on the Manfrotto Lykos light which looks amazing and just what I need for dark days. I almost purchased a Softbox lighting kit recently but I’ve gone on to change my mind about those too, since spotting the Lykos light. Admittedly, it’s rather more expensive but I feel it’s worth investing in some decent equipment. *Continues to save* After all, “We are only as good as our tools” or so they say.

Increase Page Views…

By improving my content. This is always up for debate but having been under the impression for some time, that lengthy posts were the way to go, it seems I was wrong. *Newsflash* nobody actually reads long posts – We generally scan over a post, skimming through to paragraphs of interest etc. The latest is – shorter posts are the way forward. keeping my posts around six to eight hundred words is my goal.  Posts always appear longer when reading them on our phones, don’t they!

I recently came across a blog post whereby the writer had inserted in a “skip Forward” link at the end of the first paragraph and You guessed it, I clicked that link! What a great idea, I mean, I would much rather a reader made use of a skip forward link than got bored reading the waffle and left. This isn’t such an easy task unless you’re a wiz with HTML, but there are instructions online to learn how. Inserting a skip forward link is definitely something I want to try.

Stick To A Posting Schedule

I was terrible at this throughout last year, I really struggled to post on the same days or time each week. Sometimes, work constraints or even just a run of dark, gloomy weather can hinder photography and prevent a post being ready on time. I prefer to get a post finished and ready to publish quite early in the mornings, where possible. This is just my personal choice as I can then get plenty of views in throughout the day, plus if I’m tagging a brand, they are more likely to respond during business hours. Again, this is questionable and there aren’t any rules, do what suits you and your blog.

So, those are my goals, nothing too strenuous or out of reach. I will share an update post toward the end of the year. What about yours? Do you have any targets set?

Share:

29 Comments

1. January 1, 2018 / 9:42 am

Good luck with your goals. I still enjoy reading long-form articles, provided they are well written and interesting. For example, QZ has very nice editorial and layout.

My goal is to stick with a schedule too, if you are using wordpress, you should checkout the editorial calendar plug-in. I found it very useful.

Have a great 2018. (^_^)

• January 1, 2018 / 10:04 am

I’ll definitely have a look at the plugin. Thanks for sharing! x

2. January 1, 2018 / 10:59 am

it is very true that people tend to skip over parts of blogs posts, sometimes when i dont have bucket loads of time, im a skim reader – i admit it! i do sometimes like settling down with a cupppa and a very long blog post though (mainly because im nosey haha)

good luck with all of your resolutions and wishing you all the best for 2018, lovely!

katie. xx lacoconoire.com

• January 1, 2018 / 11:43 am

I’m guilty as charged too. Occasionally I feel compelled to read the whole thing!
      Thanks lovely and a happy new year to you x

3. January 1, 2018 / 12:35 pm

I love reading these kinds of posts and you definitely have some great goals. I purchased the Olympus camera in Aprilish time last year and I have got to say it’s the best thing I did, it’s an incredible camera although I’m desperate for another lens. I can’t really comment on the focusing when vlogging but I don’t have an issue with the camera focusing when I’m taking photos for my blog itself if that helps. Xx

Kristy | http://www.thevioletblonde.com

• January 1, 2018 / 12:49 pm

Thank you! I’m glad to hear you love the camera. I was hoping there might be some encouraging words about it! Tbh I’m not totally off the idea of buying it so we’ll see. Thanks for stopping by lovely xx

4. January 1, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Fab post! Some nice, achievable goals here that inspire. I share the same need in terms of scheduling, I’m hoping that getting back into a routine in the coming weeks now Christmas is over will help me get back on track x

• January 1, 2018 / 4:02 pm

Thank you! This was my first post since before Christmas, the longest gap between posts I’ve ever had! Hoping to get back into it again now though. Best wishes for 2018! X

5. January 1, 2018 / 2:28 pm

These are great goals! I have the Olympus Pen epl 7 and it works wonders for photos (with the 45mm lens) and for vlogging. I would recommend but worth doing lots of research. I really need to invest in a ring light or at least some sort of lighting because I’m struggling in these dark months. All the best for 2018, I’m sure you’ll continue to smash it! xx

• January 1, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Thanks lovely. I know you’ve found a massive difference since you got the camera, your photos are amazing! Photography is impossible this time of year! The ring light is good but without a bit of natural light it can look a bit tinny. The Lykos light diffuses it over a wider area. Need both really!! Have a fab 2018 xx

6. January 1, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Sam, I aim to post once a week. I would love to post more often but it difficult to find the time around a full time job. I hope you achieve all you want to and more! xx

• January 1, 2018 / 5:28 pm

Thanks Abbie. I was posting a lot more than I do now, I thought I should try and post everyday at one point but so wrong! There’s really no need. I try to post twice a week now and that seems to work. Xx

7. January 1, 2018 / 10:37 pm

Its so great to set goals isn’t it. Its so motivating and I am quite target driven, so I get a perverse pleasure in working towards something. I am looking for a light too, so will have a look at the one you have linked. I find it such a minefield, too many choices! I love that you have the balls to go out and find opportunities, again, thats something I need to be brave with. Have an amazing 2018 lovely lady xx

• January 1, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Thank you! I didn’t really set any goals last year so I thought I would this time. Just a few things to work towards. Yes, have a look at the light, softboxes are fine too but take up more room! If you’ve got somewhere to have a ‘set up’ and just leave them is great!

All the best for the coming year lovely xx

8. January 3, 2018 / 10:27 am

I agree with a lot of your goals! It is true, I don’t think people really do read long posts. People mainly scan or read bullet points, they want the information in a short, concise and fast way! Good luck with 2018!

9. January 3, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Good luck with your dreams and goals lovely, I believe you can achieve anything you put your mind to! Happy happy New year! I need a ring light so I’ll have a look at the one you suggested 🙂

Serene xoxo

iamserenel.com

• January 3, 2018 / 6:00 pm

Thank you so much! Happy New Year to you too. X

• January 4, 2018 / 12:49 pm

Sounds like a good plan! Thanks lovely x

10. January 5, 2018 / 11:35 pm

Great goals! I think I need some kind of blogging schedule but I also think I need to pay attention to my posting times and the views I get. For example, I haven’t posted a new post today yet I’ve had 120 views today. On other days, I can post twice and get half of that number of views in a day so I think I need to get to know my blog better!! xx

• January 6, 2018 / 3:56 pm

I know! It’s so weird isn’t it! I’m already failing as I’ve only managed to post once this week which the first time in so long but with being ill and have lily home I’ve just let it slide for a while. I’ve got a fair few posts ready that just need photos. Need some light for that! So dark these days isn’t it!! Did you get the lights yet? Xx

• January 7, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I was hoping to have a few posts ready so I have something to post when I’m busy but I’ve not got that far yet!! I bought the Amazon portable studio – I think I sent you a link a while back. I’m loving it!! xx

11. January 6, 2018 / 7:37 pm

These are fab goals! I got the Olympus Pen EPL8 for Christmas and it’s a great camera but probably not idea for vlogging. The screen flips downwards which could be a real pain! If you want something similar I’d definitely recommend the Canon EOS M10. My boyfriend has it – he vlogs and I used it all the time for my blog photos before I got my own!xx

Lucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

• January 6, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Thank you so much. That’s really helpful of you to advise on the camera. I’ll have a look into the one you mention your boyfriend uses. Odd that the Olympus has a flip down lens, that doesn’t seem very Blog/blog friendly!
      Thanks for stopping by xx

12. January 8, 2018 / 4:16 pm

I find that I read longer posts if they have headings. If the topic/heading interests me, I read the whole paragraph otherwise I skim as well. I suggest making bold key lines because I’ve found that really helpful when skimming blog posts.

Also, the skip forward link isn’t that hard. It’s actually a really simple code that I learnt when I did a html course at codecademy for free and I was BLOWN away when I saw that code. Very simple, very easy. I’ve used it in my reviews to allow readers to skip spoiler sections.

• January 8, 2018 / 6:54 pm

Thanks for your input. I suppose I skim if I’m short of time but really want to read the post. Some posts are so engaging I need to read the whole thing!

Coding the skip forward isn’t the hard bit, I found getting the link to actually work the difficulty. I’ll have to sit and have a proper look!
      Thanks for stopping by x

13. January 14, 2018 / 12:39 am

These goals are great and I definitely want to try some of them myself too. I’ve been obsessing over the Olympus Pen cameras for so long too but I’ve never heard anyone say about them not focusing before! That would be so annoying. Also I’ve never thought about people skimming through long posts before and maybe you’re right? That’s an interesting one! I’m sure 2018 will be another great year for your blog, I can’t wait to see what content you create!

Ellie x

• January 14, 2018 / 11:47 am

I watched a YouTube talking about her kit and she showed how the Pen struggles to re-focus when she held an item up to the lens for a close up. Then it took a while to refocus back on her. Just something small but I’ll probably still go for it anyway! x

Share your thoughts...