Every beauty lover knows a hack or two, We all have our own, or those which we’ve picked up from others along the way. I love a good beauty hack and today I’m sharing ten I swear by and use pretty much every day. So, let’s get straight to what you came here for, starting with lashes.
Finding The Right Mascara Is One Thing…
The only time I’ll be seen without mascara is on the school run – hiding behind sunglasses. Other than that, I wear it every day, It’s a makeup bag staple for me. I’ve tried all sorts from the high-end such as Lancôme Hypnose which I love, to drugstore favourites. However, since I replace my mascara every three months, I don’t want to spend a fortune. In an attempt to find a middle-ground in terms of cost, my mascara repurchase is Bourjois Volume Glamour. The formula is just right for me, similar to that of Hypnose – it doesn’t dry too quickly, remains pliable and never flakes.
Bourjois say: Volume Glamour Mascara is a one coat thickening mascara. A classic volumising mascara giving the ultimate in glamorous lashes. Featuring a roller brush that provides 50% more volume to your lashes and with the formula enriched Vitamin B your lashes are given a healthy boost.
Always curl…This is a must but, not all curlers are equal. One thing you need to check when purchasing an eyelash curler is that the pad has a curved shape to it and not flat. Tweezerman Great Grip is my curler of choice – (LOVE the lilac styling). Tweezerman say, the secret is in the thick, rounded, no-stick silicone pad. Creating a beautiful intense curl, will not crease or crimp lashes…
Shop The Mascara
How You Apply It, Is Another…
- Always start with clean lashes, even if they’re already clean, give them an extra wipe with eye makeup remover on a cotton pad in an upward motion and allow to dry.
- When curling, wriggle the curler in as close to the lash base as possible and pump fifteen times. Then, lift the curler up by 90° (whilst still clamped to the lashes). Finish by holding for about ten seconds or so. This gives the lashes an extra “uplift”
- For a lasting curl, heat the curler with your hairdryer for a few seconds. Make sure it’s not too hot before applying to your lashes so as not to burn your skin.
- To make your eyes appear larger and more open, lashes should be a “fan” shape – I’ll explain, the lashes nearest the nose should pointing inwards, the middle lashes directly upwards and the outer, well – outwards.
- Before the lashes are completely dry, press them upwards using the underside of your fingers to encourage the lashes to stay up as they finish drying.
Shop The Curler
Baby It’s Cold…
Do you apply your foundation when your face is warm – straight out of the shower or after using the hairdryer? Ever noticed that when you apply your foundation to cooler skin, the application is so much better and the skin appears smoother? It’s no surprise then, that foundation does indeed love cold skin.
- After cleansing and before applying your base products, splash your face with cold water, follow with a quick swipe of a Ph balanced toner.
- Or, If you’re feeling brave, take an ice-cube and gently run it all over your face to really cool your skin down. The icy temperature also tightens the pores and once dry, allows a flawless foundation application. Try it and see the difference for yourself.
An ongoing frustration of mine is that my hair messes up my brows, its hangs at the sides of my face in a standard fashion, but as it brushes against the tails of my brows it pushes the hairs forward.
- Use hairspray to combat this. It’s more effective than using a brow gel I find, and really sets them in place. Spray your brow spoolie with hairspray, comb your brows into place and you’re good to go. Your brows should stay where you put them all day.
Whenever I paint my nails, particularly with a dark colour, I’m never quite happy with the shape, even when I’ve spent a good while “shaping” them…
- If you’re doing a home manicure, paint one coat, allow to dry, and then lightly file and shape the nails again. The colour allows you to see the finished shape properly. When you’re happy with it, go ahead and paint your second coat. Et voilà, perfectly shaped nails.
Do You have beauty hacks? I’d Love to hear about them.
Includes affiliate links. Read full Disclosure.