As you may know, I recently holidayed in Spain and after spending too much time in the pool I experienced unintentional green hair. Too much sun, chlorine and algaecide chemicals wreaked havoc with my blonde hair. Panic-stricken, I did try using the well – known remedy, tomato ketchup to combat the green but I was still left with some quite noticeable, residual tinges. So as you can imagine when L’Oréal group PR contacted me and offered to send me some hair-saving Redken products to try I couldn’t be happier.
I’ve been blonde since my early teens when I purchased a box of blonde permanent hair colour and dyed my hair without realising I would end up with banana coloured hair. I tried to fob my parents off by telling them it was a wash in wash out colour as they weren’t best pleased. I’ll never forget my dad double-taking as I sashayed past him hoping he wouldn’t notice my new look. I was a little young to be colouring my hair and my parents were upset with me, to say the least. I’ve pretty much been blonde ever since. I did dabble with brunette for a few months but it didn’t last.
Luckily my hair is quite resilient and I’m often highlighting it with bleach or adding lowlights for more of a balayage look. keeping up with the regrowth is too much like hard work so I’ve been letting my natural colour grow through around my root area and I’m much happier with that.
Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo
This specialized shampoo purifies and leaves hair shiny.
- Clarifies and works to remove copper, iron, hard water minerals and styling product build-up.
- Highly effective to prepare hair for chemical services.
This specialised shampoo purifies and leaves hair shiny.
- Clarifies and works to remove copper, iron, hard water minerals and styling product build up.
- Highly effective to prepare hair for chemical services.
I’m familiar with this kind of clarifying shampoo as I’ve used such products previously here and there, mostly because of the exceptionally hard water where I live. I do tend to get a mineral build-up if I don’t keep on top of it.
Redken takes it to a new level. The consistency is a little thicker/creamier than a regular shampoo hence the name ‘Cleansing Cream’, it lathers well and on first use, I left it on my hair for a good five minutes as recommended. On rinsing I was so surprised at just how clean my hair felt, it was literally so squeaky clean, from root to tip.
It’s recommended to alternate this along with your regular shampoo to prevent build-up re-occurring. I can honestly say this shampoo has improved my hair so much, any build up of product has been removed plus the chemical/mineral build-up from the pool has been thoroughly cleansed from my hair. I’ll always have the need for clarifying shampoo as it really gives my hair a new lease of life. I would 100% repurchase this.
Blonde Idol Custom-Tone
Blonde Idol Custom-Tone Conditioner for Cool or Platinum Blonde Hair. No brassiness, guaranteed.* This color depositing conditioner for cool or platinum blonde hair has a dual-chamber which releases a calibrated blend of color-depositing and conditioning formulas that can be adjusted as needed over time. The violet helps neutralize brassiness for cool or platinum blonde hair.
- This color depositing conditioner for blonde hair has a dual-chamber which releases a custom calibrated blend of color-depositing and conditioning formulas that can be adjusted as needed over time
- Violet helps neutralize brassiness for cool or platinum blonde hair
- Deeply conditions, strengthens and helps preserve tonality between salon visits
How To Use
- Before first use, set dial to “Week 6” and pump until product begins to flow. Then set dial to “Week 1” and pump until product begins to flow.
- Following a haircolour service, dial-up weekly to increase color deposit
- Adjust dial as needed. For example, increase after sun exposure, and decrease when satisfied with haircolour tone.
- Can be used daily when dialed at the minimum color deposit, or up to twice a week when dialed at the medium or maximum color deposit. Refer to the dial on the Custom-Tone bottle.
- Apply to damp hair. Leave on 3-5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
WHEN TO USE
Following a blonding haircolour service, dial up usage weekly to increase color deposit, or adjust as needed.
FOR MINIMUM COLOR DEPOSIT
- 1-2 weeks after a haircolour service
- When you’re satisfied with current tone
- To maintain newly colored hair
FOR MEDIUM COLOR DEPOSIT
- 3-4 weeks after a haircolour service
- When tone needs to be slightly adjusted
- After sun exposure or light swimming
FOR MAXIMUM COLOR DEPOSIT
- 5-6 weeks after a haircolour service
- When desired tone is brassy or flat
- After excessive sun exposure or swimming
This is a new concept for me, twisting the dial to set the degree of colour deposit, it’s such a great idea! I’ve shown the three levels of colour in the swatch photo above. Blonde hair tends to yellow or become dull, flat or brassy over a period of time. That’s nothing new but fortunately there are products out there such as this designed to deal with problem. Banishing brassiness, or ‘grassiness’ in my case.
Custom-Tone has a dial feature whereby you can adjust the amount of colour deposit for your own particular need. The first time I used this, I turned the dial to week 6 (maximum) as recommended for swimmers hair and pumped some into my hand. I was quite taken-aback by how intense the colour is. It really is a vibrant violet shade. I actually said wow out loud! ( Note, I don’t usually talk to myself in the shower) I smoothed it through my towel dried hair and gently combed through.
My hair started to soften quickly and I was able to comb my hair easily. If my damp or wet hair is softened by a product It’s a good indication it’s doing something good. This was an absolute dream to use. Albeit a little messy! I left it on my hair for around ten minutes to start with as my hair was in need of a good colour deposit to neutralise the green tinges. This isn’t just a colour corrector, it’s also a really effective conditioner.
I continued to use the product on the 6 week setting for the first few uses in an attempt to get my blonde back to the shade it should be. I then turned the dial down to medium and I’ve continued using it at that level.
This is a definite repurchase for me, it actually works. The colour is so punchy and vibrant it can’t really fail. Other similar products I’ve tried are wishy – washy by comparison. Custom-Tone will remain in my bathroom to keep my blonde hair looking at its best, bright and brass free. I could really see such a difference even after the first use.
I only had one little niggle with this and that was that the pump only dispenses a small amount with each press. I had to pump quite a few times to get enough product to use on my longer length hair. You’ll also need to press several times to prime the pump for the first use but after that it was fine, I haven’t had any other issues with the pump.
Blonde Idol Mask
A caring, nourishing rinse out hair mask for blonde colour treated hair and natural blonde hair that targets porous, damaged areas with intense replenishment. Redken’s exclusive Kera-Bright System with kerabond, violet leaf extract and lactic acid helps strengthen* hair, replenish smoothness and amplify shine so blonde hair is polished with renewed softness.
- Lightweight yet nourishing formula
- Targets porous, damaged areas with intense hydration and smoothness
- Gel texture renews softness and amplifies shine
How To Use
- After shampooing, apply to towel-dried hair. Leave on 5-15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply daily or weekly as an intensive treatment.
- Use as a rinse-out treatment
Active ingredients: KERABOND AND VIOLET LEAF EXTRACT Smooths and conditions for healthy, shiny hair
LACTIC ACID: Penetrates to help restore strength and elasticity, optimizing the condition of your hair
I’ve been using this daily or with each shampoo and loving it. I scoop out a good dollop, smooth through my towel – dried hair and comb through. I’ve been using my shower cap over the top and wrapping a towel around just to ramp up the conditioning quality. You don’t necessarily have to do this if you’d rather not. I just prefer to. My hair felt nourished and generally calmer. I found it rinsed away quite happily. Again, my hair was softened and I could comb through with ease. After blow drying my hair feels amazingly soft and the condition has definitely improved.
My usual salon branded products of choice have been kicked into touch by Redken. I’ve not previously tried this brand but I’m so impressed by the results I’ve seen with all three of these products. I honestly can’t rave enough! If you’re having similar issues with your hair, try them, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Thanks to these products my hair is now back to its former glory.
Have you tried Redken?
Post features PR gifted items and Affiliate links. Please read the PR/Disclaimer page for more information. Views my own.